I have to tell you that the memories of crawling under the bushes and under the house in the mud and the rain from last year were enough to make me really dread going back out there this morning. I put it off as I sipped my coffee and, fortunately, there came a break in the clouds and I decided there was nothing for it but to go out and fix the thing. I grabbed the pruners, as I live in blackberry country, and the entrance to the sump is down under the rhododendrons. I also brought along a nice large black trash bag. I stopped at the breaker box to make sure I hadn’t tripped a breaker on the pump. Once I got the area cleared of snagging blackberries, I put my trash bag down and crawled under the bushes. When I lifted the lid to the sump pump, I could see it was nearly full of water — it’s been really raining. I thought to myself, “I spent way too much time under here last year for there to be anything major wrong.” Fortunately, I was right! I unplugged the pump, cleaned around the plug, and plugged it back in. I then pushed the red button on the ground fault interruptor, and the pump immediately sprang to action! I am so relieved. It’s nice to know I did the job the correct way first time. I think I may have tripped the fault when I used the outlet with the weed whacker this summer. It was so nice not to have to take everything apart and crawl down in there again! Here you can see that the water is all just about gone. I’m hoping all will stay dry for the winter.