Enough already!

I made it through the kidney stone, I’m still fighting the end of the plague, and this weekend, while I was in a rush to finish a quilt, I began to notice a twinge in my back.  The bottom of my spine is fused (3 levels) and while it can get painful at times, it usually stays at a dull roar and doesn’t bother me all that much.  By Sunday night, the pain shooting down my left leg was getting really bad.  I pulled out the array of physical therapy equipment I own.  1.  foam roller  – I laid down on it and straightened my spine out, rolled back and forth, heard a few things pop and hoped it would be good.  Nope.  When I got back up, the pain was still there, perhaps a little worse. 2.  I got out the Colpac by Chatanooga Group – one of those blue gel pliable packs they use at physical therapy.  I love it because it can mold to your achy spots and it stays cold for a long, long time.  No relief there.  3.  Exercise ball – I draped myself over the top of it and rolled back and forth, totally relaxing and giving the spine some time to let go of my nerves.  Nope!  4.  Floor – I laid down on the floor with a little pillow under my head and my butt right up against the wall and put my legs up on the wall.  Stayed like that for about an hour, getting inspected every few minutes by the dog and both cats, who seem to be most distressed when I do unusual things.  5. Oxycodone and Tizanadine – not hittin’ on sh$%.  Ow, ow, ow.  6.  Massage chair – heated shiatsu massage, feels great, but you can’t stay on the darn thing forever.  In the long run, it did not provide much relief.  7. TENS unit – stuck on the electrodes and finally got into bed.  Just no way to position myself so that my left leg was not screaming at me.  Pain started all the way down into my foot.  I probably managed a total of two hours of sleep all night, in ten minute increments.  As soon as the doc’s office opened at 8:00, I was on the horn.  My doctor is on vacation till June 17, but I was able to get in to see one of the other doctors in the practice.  Of course, this involved having to explain the whole darn thing over again, when my internist would have said, “oh no, not again!” and gotten down to business.  I got a shot of Toradol – strong anti-inflammatory, and was on my way.  I got home and started to go outside to prune my roses, when I was taken with a horrible stomach ache.  I sat down for a few minutes and realized I couldn’t keep my eyes open.  Probably the body relaxing from the stress of the night.  I gave up and went to bed.  Today is much better.  I’m hoping that three health disasters in a row is, if not the ‘charm,’ at least ENOUGH!  I am done with illness and suffering.  I will have the dregs of the cold, but I got up and out today and I’m not looking back.

Ozzie and I headed to the dog park.  Much to his dismay, I decided I needed some ‘me’ exercise first.  Not a lot of exercise, just a spin around one of the small loops on Pre’s Trail.

http://www.endomondo.com/embed/workouts?w=vRPjlHUGjRQ&width=580&height=600&width=950&height=600″ width=”950″ height=”600″ frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no”>

We then went into the dog park (you can see it in the lower right of the screen) and played ball for about an hour.  I feel a lot better, and my very pooped pooch is fast asleep on the couch.  I got the roses pruned and I’m about to go upstairs and quilt.  On we go!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s