Busy, busy!

I’m still here, just haven’t had much time to sit down at the computer lately.  On Friday, I went to the coast with my sister-in-law and good friend, Becca.  We were assisting a friend who was attempting to evict a former boyfriend from her property.  A situation with which, as you know, I have experience.  Unfortunately, we needed to wait for the Sheriff to arrive with the summons before we could go in and change locks, etc., so all we ended up doing was offering a little moral support and, possibly, comic relief.  We ended up needing to come home before the sheriff arrived, but it was a good day nonetheless.  The sheriff did eventually show up and my friend got the door locks changed before dark.  Sometimes just having possession of your property back is very comforting.

We got back to town in time to meet my brother, and his daughter and her new boyfriend for dinner.  That was very enjoyable except that the restaurant had some plumbing trouble, and they decided to open the doors to air the place out, despite the temperature outside hovering near 40°F.  My nose is generally very sensitive, and I couldn’t smell anything bad, but they insisted.  I cannot bear cold very well and, despite zipping my parka all the way up and wearing my sister-in-law’s jacket over my legs, I was freezing.  So, I got a martini to warm me up.  It did help quite a bit, but proved disastrous once I got home.  I sat down on the couch and rejoiced in being warm at last, and the next thing I knew, it was about 11 p.m.  I had planned to quilt all evening, and had, instead, to settle for quilting between 11:30 p.m. and 1:00 a.m.  Some kids just have to learn the hard way!

Yesterday, I spent most of the day sewing with friends at Our Sewing Room in Springfield.  I made good progress on my Quilt of Valor, got to chat and laugh a lot, and then came home to add my blocks to the pile of sewing and embroidery on the kitchen table. Busy JanuaryI think I only need to make about five more 9 patch blocks, cut my setting triangles, and then I can piece the whole top together.  I already have the border strips cut, so as soon as I’ve got the top together and can measure, I’ll cut their length and slap them on!  I may have the quilt done before I leave for Hawaii.

Today I’ll take down the Christmas tree at long last.  All I can say is, getting old is a lot tougher than I ever planned.  I keep the storage containers for the tree ornaments in the garden shed.  Somehow, between putting the tree up and now, I lost the key to the garden shed.  Now, I always know where that key is, because I need to get into that shed much more often than I would like. There are tools for fixing the decrepit house out there, and I always seem to need something.  I keep the key in the right front pocket of my jeans.  Every time I change my jeans, I just transfer the key.  But, for some reason, the key was now gone and I was so upset with myself.  Not wanting to leave the tree up till next Christmas, I had my brother come up and cut the lock off.  This was on Friday right before dinner.  So, what did I find on Saturday morning?  Yes, the key to the shed!  While my sister and brother in law were here for Christmas, I had them use my room, and I opted for the twin bed in the spare room.  I came home from the dog park with Ozzie one day fairly well covered in mud, and when I got out of the shower, I put my dirty clothes down in the spare room instead of putting them in the hamper in my bedroom.  The spare room is also my sewing room (when I have not expanded to the kitchen, as I have now).  So, when I walked in there yesterday to get some of my sewing equipment to go sew with my friends, there were my muddy jeans, with the key in the right front pocket!!  ARGH!  Anyway, my brother says he can weld my lock back together, so I’ll have a spare lock in case I ever have to do this again.  What a maroon, right?tree 2012

Well, off to denude the tree and then get back to more sewing and quilting.  I will not fall asleep on the couch.  I will not be lazy.  Repeat this mantra often!


One thought on “Busy, busy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s