It’s going to be a great day

No cancer!  Hello?  I know, I haven’t said much, and it’s probably part of my feeling really down lately, but I’ve had this thing hanging over my head for a while.  I had a spot on my mammo in the fall and they wanted me to come back for more screening mammograms, ultra sound, etc.  Now that I’m retired, all these tests are really expensive, and, having been through the scare three times before, I just didn’t want to waste the money on tests that weren’t going to tell me if I actually had cancer or not.  I told them if they really wanted to know, I’d consent to the biopsy, but they didn’t want to do that, and I didn’t want to spend the money for the ‘we’re not sure’ tests.  So, for months now, when I get breast or chest pains, I wonder.  I can be a horrible hypochondriac if left to my own devices.  Since I’ve been feeling so crappy lately, I finally decided to give in to the six-month diagnostic mammo of the left side only, as I promised them I’d do, and I went yesterday.  Unlike your regular screening mammo, where you phone in or get a message the next day telling you whether you have anything to worry about, when you go for the diagnostic mammo, they sit you in a room and have you wait for your results.  I was pretty sure this was nothing, but when the door finally opened and the doctor came in with two nurses, I was afraid they were on hand to catch me if I fell after the diagnosis.  However, all he said was, ‘well, we don’t think there’s any reason for concern at this point.’  Halleluia.  So, $131 later, I’ve got nothing to worry about till I go the next time and they call to tell me I have another lump and they want to do more tests.  It’s getting to the point I’d prefer to just have them removed so I wouldn’t have to deal with it any longer.

I did actually get upstairs to quilt yesterday.  I’ve had to dissect a couple of the patterns I’m using on this quilt and add parts around the plain apples in the blocks because, as I thought, the single apple was not enough quilting for the snowball blocks.  I think they’re coming out nicely now and I have developed a plan to get through the rest of it, so hopefully, I will finish it this week.

I also have a little fun planned for today.  Two of my former co-workers and I are going out to lunch.  Actually, one is my sister-in-law, who at one time was the undergraduate secretary in Economics, and the other is the former graduate secretary, my friend Georgette.  We were, at one time, what my brother called ‘the three amigas,’ as we often would spend our lunch hours or after work time in my back yard, drinking wine, margaritas, or martinis, and we were all fairly close.  Then my brother married Becca (the undergraduate secretary), and Georgette took up with a man the rest of us found to be of questionable character (no longer any question – my brother, sister-in-law and I still don’t like or trust him), and I, of course, am on my own.  Now that we’re all retired, we’ve decided to get together once a month for lunch.  Last month’s outing was really fun, so I’m hoping today will be the same.  Then it’s off to the store to buy more rye flour for bread, and back home to quilt and take the dog for an afternoon walk.  We’ll need it so he’ll forgive me for not taking him to lunch today.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s